Friday, March 16, 2012

Alexander Mijares - "My work is very passionate and very vibrant..."

          When looking at the works produced by this artist, I am reminded of something familiar. The dominance of the colors and flow lines he used in forming his art, which was mostly inspired by the beauty of women, inevitably brought me into the art form of stained glass that is often used in church or colonial buildings. But this artist, who lives in Miami, pour it onto the canvas. A few days ago, we had interviewed him with similar questions that we asked to Paul Doran on last week's edition. Here is our interview with Alexander Mijares...

PERSONAL INFORMATION
Name                     : Alexander Anthony Mijares
City/Country          : Miami / USA
Email                     mijares@me.com         
Website                 www.mijaresart.co
Twitter                    : ‏ @IamAlexMijares
Facebook              :  A. Mijares ( Art Gallery )
Bio                        

 *Alexander Mijares Debut Art Exhibit Gallery  Photos  - Downtown Miami News

          I was born here in Miami, my family is from Spain and Cuba.  I have lived in Miami my whole life, except for those few years I went to school in Boston.  I love to travel, and do anything that can add to my life resume of experiences.  My father used to say “that a day you don’t learn something new is a day wasted”  I believe that a “a day that I go that I don’t meet someone new is a day wasted”  cause at the end of the day each new person will somehow bring a new experience into my life that will become a puzzle piece in my life.  I Currently run a Family business in which we do Sheet metal fabrication for military, defense, communications, Lighting, & much more.  I also recently finished school with an MBA.

Interview with Alex...
-       How long have you been an artist?
I have always doodled my whole life on books, during class, for school functions and plays.  I basically could draw anything when I was a kid and then got in to street art and graffiti for a bit but soon dropped that and focused more on just sketches.  It wasn’t until January 2011 when I moved into  my new apartment and I needed a large piece of art for my wall did I know I could paint.  I went to the store bought a canvas and some acrylic paint one brush and began to paint my first piece in which I painted on the wrong side of the canvas! I had no idea what I was doing when I began but every painting since then has been a trial and error and success.

-       Is being an artist a full-time career for you?
No, I currently work in the family business during the day in which we fabricated sheet metal products for military, defense, lighting, furniture and much more.  And when I get home I paint for several hours usually every day.

-       Tell me about your work? What are you currently working on? How is this different from past projects?
My work is very passionate and very vibrant.  The colors I use and the way in which I use them make the work jump off the canvas.  Currently I am working on several larger pieces for my next exhibit.  I have found that the larger works really show the strokes and the true colors of the piece.  When I first began I kind of was just trying all different things until I found a style and size I like.  Lately I have been mostly doing larger pieces.  I am also in process to begin during sculptures of the women in which I am painting out of stained glass and precious metals.


-       What was your inspiration?
People, culture, travel, women,… in my current work I have painted a series of women each using several different shapes that when laid together act as almost a puzzle would.  Each piece being some kind of life experience, of love, or death of a close friend / friends! And relationships.  Then the style has a very Spanish feel mixed with the ideas of the Venetian / Shakespeare time when with only a mask someone could be who they wanted to be.  A poor person could be nobility and nobody had a clue. “the morale of the people was maintained through the use of masks- for with no face, everyone had voices”.

-       "What is Art?" is certainly too big of a question to ask here, but what do you hope your audience takes away from your art? What statement do you hope to make?
I hope to “wow” people, I want my work to grab the viewer and engage them with the use of the vibrant colors and the sensual lines of the woman and leave them wanting more.  There is a lot of emotion that goes into my work and I hope that it will be felt


-       What was the best advice given to you as an artist? 
Open yourself to experiences, educate yourself in your field and continue to be passionate about what you paint in that you can see it so clearly in your work.  I have never taken painting classes so in my work every piece is a new adventure and without boundaries.

-       Tell me about your work space and your creative process.
Currently my work space is in my apartment in a corner.  I have a journal that I walk around with all day writing and sketching ideas about what will be my next work or process about my next piece.  Then I usually put on Spanish guitar music and go to work for hours at a time.  My favorite part is after putting in hours within inches of my canvas is to finish the day take a few steps back and smile at what has been accomplished and how different it looks when you step back and take it all in



-       What has been the biggest challenge in the work you create?
I would say everyday has been a challenge because every day I am trying new things and styles and mediums without really knowing what the outcome will bring.  Luckly I have been successful so far in that everything I have tried has worked out great!

-       Where do you go online for good art resources, whether to find a new artist, or to see what is going on in the art world locally and otherwise?
I don’t really have a specific place, I have been spending a lot of time in galleries lately and with gallerist to learn and educated myself in the art world.  Usually online I just google art and spend endless hours scrolling through everything.

-       Do you have any exhibits to promote?
I just had my first exhibit on feb 23rd in which I exhibited 25 pieces and sold 8 which was a great start.  I believe my next exhibit will be in may as I will be in spain for a month so when I get back I will be having another show.


Fiman Prayudi Utama for votreart.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment