Saturday, September 22, 2012

Daizy Shely - "Doll is The New Black" Final Collection

























Photo by Saxon Shao, styling by Natalie Sarel.


One night, I accidentally watched "Elizabeth (1998)", a film of the early years of the reign of Elizabeth I of England and her difficult task of learning what is necessary to be a monarch. Not only I do admire the plot of that film, but also the entire wardrobe worn by all the characters, especially Queen Elizabeth (Cate Blanchett). Then not long later I got a message from a friend named Daizy, a fashion designer from Israel, and now live in Milan. She just graduated from Istituto Marangoni fashion school. She told me about a special project for her final collection inspired by the queen Elizabeth the first and pierrot. What a coincidence! 
But really, when looking at the collection, it did make me immediately think of the dresses from the Queen, although at that time I did not know that she was inspired by the Queen. It's like looking back to the past, through the work of Daizy. With a touch of photography by Saxon Shao and styling by Natalie Sarel, I could still feel the classical luxurious impression. When asked about her collection, Daizy said:         

"I decided to design my collection “The Dark Kingdom” without any colors, just with black and white. Black-and-white is a form of visual representation that does not use color. That`s why I chose to express myself with volumes and silhouttes in this collection. The inspiration for this collection comes from a few different directions. 

One of the main inspiration is Pierrot – known as the sad French clown, he is based on a stereotype, and its origins are planted mainly in pantomime and comedy Del Arte in the late of the 17th century. The other inspiration for the silhouttes comes from the shape of the gorgera (neck and wrist ruffs) that was important part of the 1600th century fashion and popular during the term of the English queen Elisabeth the 1st. The Queen Elisabeth had dresses of all colors, but white and black were her favorite colors as they symbolized virginity and purity.

I took this amazing form of the volume of the old gorgera, that in the originally it was made from soft fabrics like lace and used as collar. I turned it into something completely different, i made the gorgera with hard fabrics as leather or taffeta and give it modern look. I play with the volume and the size of the gorgera shap and turned it into something else creating powerful dresses with lots of presence."


Photo by Saxon Shao, styling by Natalie Sarel.

Photo by Saxon Shao, styling by Natalie Sarel.

*If you want to know more about Daizy Shely, you can visit her Facebook page here!

No comments:

Post a Comment